The 'Exploding TARDIS' Dress

personal, costumes comments edit

I normally don’t sew too much outside of Halloween, when it becomes more an excuse to set aside time to make cool stuff than anything else. However, I saw this “Exploding TARDIS” fabric at Jo-Ann the other day and had to make something out of it.

Since my daughter Phoenix is a Whovian like myself, I figured I’d make her a little dress. I went with Butterick “See & Sew” pattern B5443 because it was a whopping $3 and it was a fairly simple thing. I also got some shiny blue lining to go in it.

The exploding TARDIS fabric, lining, and pattern

The most time consuming part was, as usual, pinning and cutting all the pieces.

Cutting the main pieces

The back closes in a zipper, which is usually a painful experience but actually went smoothly this time. Here I’m pinning it in…

Pinning the zipper

…and here it’s finished.

The finished zipper

I did a bit of a modification and let the blue lining hang slightly below the body of the dress for a peek of that shiny blue. I also finished the waist with a ribbon that has gold sun, moon, and stars printed on it.

The 'exploding TARDIS' dress

And here is the proud four-year-old Whovian in her new exploding TARDIS dress.

Phoenix in her new dress

All told it took about a day and a half from start to finish. I really started around 10 or 11 on Saturday, ran it through until around 10 Saturday night, and finished up in a couple of hours on Sunday morning. Not too bad.

This was the first thing I’ve made since I got Jenn a Brother 1034D serger for Christmas, and let me tell you - the serger makes all the difference. The seams come out very professional looking and the garment has a much more “store bought” quality to it.

I bought enough of the fabric to make myself a shirt using Vogue pattern 8800. I’ve used that pattern before and it comes out well, if a bit snug, so this next go-round with it I’ll make one size larger for some breathing room.