It's Not OK To Skip The Standup

I participate in agile projects where we have a daily standup meeting to discuss high-level task status and roadblocks. I've noticed that many times I find there is a general feel that if the manager is out sick or can't otherwise make the daily standup that the team feels the standup is inherently canceled. When you run past their desks to find out where the missing members are to round them up, they're astonished: "What? We're still having a standup?"

Even if the manager is sick, even if one of the team members is out, yes, we are still having the standup. Why am I being so jerky about it? It's just a standup, right?

Jason Yip wrote about patterns of daily standup meetings to address the more holistic concerns about what should and shouldn't happen at a standup, so I won't re-hash that. Go read that article - I'll wait.

Good. Now let me tell you what the standup means to me and why I believe you shouldn't skip the standup.

1. The standup is for the team, not the manager. It's great when the manager is there. And, yes, I know that in some projects you may not have a manager - it may be a peer scrummaster or some other leader. Regardless, the meeting isn't for that leader - it's for the team. You're not reporting your status to the manager, you're reporting to the team.
  2. The standup is a vestigial sign of discipline. In any team, it's important to know that your peers can meet commitments and that you can trust them to have your back. If you can't trust your team to make a simple standup, how can you trust that they're on top of any of the other tasks they're working on?

Now, it may be that the standup is at a bad time of day or that maybe it should be an every-other-day standup because there's not enough developing to warrant daily updates. It may be that there are too many people (or too many uninvolved people). There are a lot of potential problems with a standup's format, but those can be addressed - so address them. Again, the Yip article talks about some of these problems and potential solutions.

Regardless, it is not OK to skip the standup.

posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:36 AM | Filed Under [ GeekSpeak ]

Comments

Gravatar # re: It's Not OK To Skip The Standup
by Nathan at 2/22/2008 11:33 AM
If you can't trust your team to make a simple standup, how can you trust that they're on top of any of the other tasks they're working on?

That's not a very logical statement. It assumes that your team has all decided to drink the agile kool-aid
Gravatar # re: It's Not OK To Skip The Standup
by Joe Chung at 2/22/2008 5:36 PM
If you're having trust issues with your team, then them not showing up for a standup is the least of your worries.
Gravatar # re: It's Not OK To Skip The Standup
by Travis Illig at 2/22/2008 9:25 PM
We've been working in an agile environment for years now. Folks who haven't "drunk the agile kool-aid" are at the very least aware of how they can bring their concerns to the team to have them addressed. If folks don't want to come to the stand up and that's their concern, great - bring it to the team and propose a solution. Just not showing up? Not cool.

I'm not saying it's the only sign of trust, but a "the cat's away, so the mice will play" attitude does show a lack of discipline.

The standup being the least of the issues? Sure thing. As I mentioned - it's a vestigial sign, not the only one, and definitely not the one I'd be most concerned with.
Gravatar # re: It's Not OK To Skip The Standup
by Chris at 2/25/2008 9:53 AM
"The standup is a vestigial sign of discipline."

If you need overt signs of discipline in your team, you have bigger problems than standup attendance.

Been there, seen it, not pretty.
Gravatar # re: It's Not OK To Skip The Standup
by Chad Sturtz at 2/29/2008 9:12 AM
If you think it's ok to skip the stand-up, here's a few words you should go look up:

Team
Collaboration
Commitment
Respect

Comments have been closed on this topic.