Xbox 360 NAT Configuration

Amid the other problems I'm having with my Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, this morning I seemed unable to recover my gamertag. When I did the network diagnostic, I found that the NAT settings came up as "Moderate" (on the Xbox Live scale of "Strict," "Moderate," and "Open," you really need that to say "Open").

To make it read "Open," you need to forward the following ports through your router to your Xbox (which means you'll also need a static IP address on your Xbox):

• UDP 88
  • UDP 3074
  • TCP 3074

Lucky for me, PortForward.com has some great free how-to articles on setting up just that. Here's the guide to setting up a static IP address on your Xbox 360 and the guide for Xbox Live port forwarding on a Linksys WRT54G.

Interestingly enough, after futzing around with this and getting it to a situation where I couoldn't even connect to Xbox Live at all, I put all my settings back the way they were (remember they were "Moderate?") and suddenly it was seen as "Open." I guess you never can tell.

posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:09 AM | Filed Under [ Gaming ]

Comments

Gravatar # re: Xbox 360 NAT Configuration
by John Batdorf at 12/29/2007 11:30 AM
XBL has had serious issues the past three days. I wouldn't change any router settings at this point.

I went down the same path you did, and couldn't connect after the router setting changes.

Mine is still moderate.

It worked before, so I guess I'm just waiting this problem out.
Gravatar # re: Xbox 360 NAT Configuration
by Dugald Wilson at 12/31/2007 4:53 AM
I did the static IP + port forwarding, with no movement on NAT settings. I kept the static IP, and opted to push the 360 into the DMZ (when doing this, it's key to disable the port forwarding). Doing that enabled me to get my NAT back to open and resume playing games with my friends.
Gravatar # re: Xbox 360 NAT Configuration
by bobman at 12/5/2008 9:44 AM
im trying to play gears of war 2 but it says i have a strict firewall setting on xbl. i got the new xbox main menu so everything is different. NEED HELP!!!
Gravatar # re: Xbox 360 NAT Configuration
by Travis Illig at 12/5/2008 1:45 PM
The new menu isn't really any different than the old one when you're talking network settings. It's still the same diagnostics, the report looks the same, and it's still under "system settings."

For ways to fix your issue, you'll need to check out the Xbox Live site, maybe call their support, or look through the forums. Each router is different so I can't offer a blanket guide. I got lucky and found help on the sites mentioned above. Maybe you can, too.

That said, the ports for XBL haven't changed, so if all else fails, just assign your Xbox a static IP address and do the port forwarding on your router for the ports listed.
Gravatar # re: Xbox 360 NAT Configuration
by mr.taco at 12/8/2008 12:55 PM
this thing is making me mad i cant seem configure it i have at&t dsl its not working....
Gravatar # re: Xbox 360 NAT Configuration
by michael at 12/26/2008 12:53 PM
i have been trying to fix my nat on my xbox for like a month now its kind of hard im going not using a router im using a 5 port workgroup switch from linksys if anyone can help me please let me know what i can do
Gravatar # re: Xbox 360 NAT Configuration
by unknown at 1/16/2009 8:01 AM
this may sound stupid but how do you configure your nat settings
Gravatar # re: Xbox 360 NAT Configuration
by Travis Illig at 1/16/2009 8:06 AM
Go to PortForward.com and use their how-to articles. It's different for every router and they have a great collection of articles that explain it for different models.
Comments have been closed on this topic.