IIS 7 Has Great Features Coming
Scott Guthrie has a great article about some of the IIS 7 features coming in Windows Vista and Longhorn. Included:
- HttpHandlers and HttpModules can participate in any server request, not just for .NET apps.
- ASP.NET configuration system integrated into IIS (web.config for all apps!).
- Admin GUI that combines administration of IIS and ASP.NET settings.
- Better error auditing/debugging through a new system called “Failed Request Event Buffering.”
- Vastly improved APIs (check out the example of the simplest program ever that can enumerate the worker processes and current requests). Check this out for more on the API updates. Bye bye, WMI!
I’m stoked. Seriously. All of this stuff is going to make the ASP.NET world so much easier to work in. I’ve already started shooting emails off to folks around work about ways we can leverage these things.