Visual Studio .NET 2003 - Configuration Manager / Batch Build... Read Only?

I had this weird problem for like two days in Visual Studio .NET 2003. I would be working on a project and go to the Configuration Manager screen to change some solution build properties... and I couldn't click anything. I could change the "Active Solution Configuration," but I couldn't change any of the settings.

Configuration Manager No Worky

I fought with this thing. I mean, fought with it. I reinstalled Visual Studio - no luck. I took the computer home and uninstalled every add-in I had... and that seemed to do the trick, but when I got it back to work it stopped working.

I Googled it. I searched everywhere. I asked everyone I could find. Nobody had ever heard of this.

Luckily we have Microsoft Premiere Support at work. I submitted the question to them and after a couple of hours a guy called me. He told me he had to call because he couldn't send this one through email, and he was right.

With some dual-monitor configurations, the Configuration Manager and the Batch Build options dialogs stop working. If you switch back to single-monitor mode, it works again. I tried it, and sure enough, it worked.

That's why it worked at home - one monitor - and why it stopped working when I got back to work - dual monitors.

After experimenting with it (thanks to Scott Hanselman) for a while it turns out the problem is when the product is running on the second monitor (or, more precisely, when the Config Manager or Batch Build dialog is on the second monitor) and the second monitor is "above" or to the "left" of the primary (so the second monitor is in a virtual "negative" space). You can drag the dialog onto your primary monitor and it will work. It will also work fine if the second monitor is "below" or to the "right" of the primary monitor - so everything is always in a "positive" space. Weird, eh?

(The easy solution if you're having problems is to drag the Configuration Manager or Batch Build dialog box onto the primary monitor then manipulate the properties there. It doesn't matter where VS.NET itself is running, just where the Configuration Manager or Batch Build dialog box is physically located at the time.)

They didn't have a patch for it, but the guy did tell me it is a product issue. Hopefully they'll have it fixed in the next version.

posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 3:54 PM | Filed Under [ Visual Studio ]

Comments

Gravatar # Re: Visual Studio .NET 2003 - Configuration Manager / Batch Build... Read Only?
by JH at 7/15/2005 12:25 PM
Hello!

Thanks a lot for this little discovery :)

I've been iritated for days at this bug and when i found this help it totally made my (fri)day!

It's the weirdest bug i've seen!

JH
by Saturn49 at 9/10/2005 2:24 PM
Another dual-monitor bug: If VS is on the second monitor, hit compile/build in a C# project and go do something on the first monitor. VS will get confused about where it is supposed to be and starts drawing its title bar starting in the middle of the first monitor.
by LOGIKonline at 1/10/2006 9:11 AM
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

I was about to rip my screen off - made no logical sense.
Dave
Gravatar # re: Visual Studio .NET 2003 - Configuration Manager / Batch Build... Read Only?
by Marc Polican at 8/5/2007 8:11 PM
Whew! Thank you very much!! I was having this problem for a loooong time! I was very frustrated why the Config manager does not work.

Your post saved me! =)
by Tyler at 8/16/2007 10:40 AM
Thank you. I was about to put a fist thru my computer. I've been hand editing solution files which was a big enough pain when I got it right! Most of the time, I had to start over!
Interesting that I've had dual monitors for 2 years, and this just showed up probably a month ago.
Go Microsoft...
by Larry at 11/9/2007 10:08 AM
Many thanks for posting this. This is the type of problem I could easily have wasted a day trying to figure out.
by Goodwin at 12/29/2007 2:48 AM
Very useful! Thank you :)
by redcula at 1/21/2008 3:31 PM
thank you very much. i spent two days on this problem.
by That guy at 1/30/2008 8:27 AM
A Million Thanks!
by Rafael at 4/16/2008 4:14 PM
Thank you so much, I've been having this problem days and nothing was working.... I truly appreciate it.
by Victoria Demaio at 5/4/2008 8:31 PM
Thank you, you saved me a lot of time. :)
by Thomas at 6/9/2008 2:03 PM
Thanks a lot for posting this, like others... about ready to throw this thing through the window
by Craig at 2/26/2009 5:07 PM
Wow, talk about a frustrating bug, over the last two days I've uninstalled and reinstalled VS, the .Net framework, IIS, rebuilt the solution, and a whole bunch of other painful activities, only to find that it's my dual monitors (which I've had for a couple of years now).

Thanks for the explanation, you're a life saver :)
Comments have been closed on this topic.